Cerebral palsy is a neurological disorder that can make individuals who have been diagnosed with it experience challenges with relation to movement and communication. People who have cerebral palsy often need assistance with everyday tasks, which means a lot of them are unable to live independently.
However, with the help of assistive technology, individuals with cerebral palsy can become more independent in their daily life. There are many tools that can be used to help work toward this goal, which we will discuss more below.
Why Do Cerebral Palsy Patients Need Assistive Devices? How Do They Benefit Patients?
Since cerebral palsy poses difficulties with movement and coordination, which are very important for the activities of daily living, tools for assistance can be very helpful. The tools that a patient with cerebral palsy can use range from assistive devices for daily tasks to communication.
Some of the benefits include:
- Greater mobility and accessibility
- Enhanced ability to perform daily tasks, such as dressing, bathing, eating, and personal hygiene
- A sense of independence, dignity, and improved well-being
Assistive devices can enable individuals with cerebral palsy to perform daily tasks that would otherwise be challenging or impossible for them to do.
What Are Some Tools for Independence That Cerebral Palsy Patients Can Use?
Now we come to the part where we detail the assistive technology devices available that individuals with cerebral palsy can use.
Self-help aids are tools that can help a person with cerebral palsy perform activities of daily living independently. These might include:
- Dressing aids, such as button hooks or shoe horns
- Eating and drinking aids, such as special utensils and nosey cups to prevent spillage
- Hand splints, which helps in holding hands in a functional position
- Bathroom aids, such as a shower bench, long handle bath sponges and brushes, raised toilet seats, and safety grab bars
- Universal cuffs, which are adaptive tools that assist in tasks that demand precise fine motor skills, such as gripping
- Reach and grabbing aids to extend their reach and enhance their ability to interact with their environment
Mobility aids help individuals get to a place by themselves safely and independently. Some of these include:
These devices can also help reduce the risk of falls and injuries. In addition, leg lifters can help the individual transfer from their wheelchair onto the bed.
In addition to mobility challenges, cerebral palsy patients may also have difficulties with communicating. Their condition can lead to speech impairments from a lack of control over oral muscles.
Some communication aids can help them express their thoughts and ideas. These include:
- Electronic devices or software programs
- Communication boards that combine sounds with a visual aid
- Voice-output devices, which allow pre-recorded messages or synthesized speech, or text-to-speech programs, which can convert written text into spoken words
A speech language pathologist can help a patient with cerebral palsy use these communication aids correctly.
The use of adaptive tools in managing cerebral palsy encompasses two main objectives: to enhance individuals’ ability to act independently and to stimulate neuroplasticity and better muscle control through repetition.
Cerebral Palsy Treatment in Farmington Hills, Novi, and Howell, MI
At Associates in Neurology, we specialize in the treatment of patients with neurologic disorders such as cerebral palsy. Our neurologists are compassionate and provide comprehensive care. We are deeply committed to helping your loved one achieve greater independence and enhance daily functioning.
Our team of neurology specialists believe individuals with cerebral palsy can maintain physically active and fulfilling lives with the highest quality support and treatments. Our long-term approach focuses on improving key areas such as strength, balance, and motor development.
To schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified neurologists, call our office today at (248) 478-5512 or use our convenient online request form. We look forward to making a big difference in your loved one’s life.